Welcome

Welcome to the “In Search of Water” blog site! Here you will see the chronicled events of the project leading up to the team’s departure from the United States and then daily while the team is in Africa. Feel free to comment on the posts as it is a great encouragement to the team and a great way to share in the experience together.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Flying from Amsterdam to Minneapolis

Here is our plane, flight 259 from Amsterdam to Minneapolis. Last year we got stuck on the tarmac for 4 hours due to a snow storm in December of 2010. It's rainy and cold outside but there is no threat of freezing weather.

We passed through security with out a problem and even had the full body scans (wonder if they can tell how much meat we ate last night). We are ready to fly over the pond and get home. I don't know why they call it a pond, I guess to make you feel better about using your seat cushion as a flotation device. I feel better about using my cushion in a pond but the Atlantic ocean seems a bit "under" equipped!

Our flight is 8 hours long but we are following the sun so on the clock this flight will only take 2 hours. Sweet! We are trying to stay as positive as possible here! Once we hit Minneapolis we have to collect our luggage and go through US Customs. Once through customs we will re-check our bags for a DOMESTIC flight...that word sounds great!

Well, here we go. You are all sleeping right now but soon we will see you all!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Larry Matson here --- Doug, I have a pond(you've been there). I can throw a rock across mine. You need to help them with their terminology. Can't wait until you guys are back in Sioux Falls. Be safe on the last 2 steps HOME.

Queen Cindy said...

I want to watch Larry throw a rock across his pond. And I would love to watch you all try to stay awake in an 8 hour flight with chick flicks on the screen.

Welcome home Sudan team! Your life changing experience is technically over, but really only just beginning.

Anonymous said...

Excited to see you all and hear all the amazing stories!! (Customs should be no problem with your smelly luggage!)

Kelli Matson said...

My dad might need that cushion/floatation device for his pond (do you think you can sneak it off the plane)...since he fell through the ice this past winter!!

Can't wait too see you guys!

Anonymous said...

I'm following your plane on a flight tracker site (no surprise to Jess!). So exciting to see it getting closer to the US and to the good old midwest!! Can't wait to "see" it land!! -Nancy

Joy! said...

Jess! You will be in my backyard soon. Call/text me from Shane's phone (please Shane). I wish I could see you today!!! P.S. I can't even tell you how many times I wished there was a "like" button for the comment section...especially for Larry "Matty" Matson.

Joy! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Approximately 1 hours 36 minutes before they land in Minneapolis!!! What a wonderfully successful trip and Kalalayi has WATER!!!!!!Wooooo
Hoooo. Because of the volatile situation on the Sudanese border, I am thankful that the Team is back on Home ground.
WELCOME HOME!!!
Doug, Darwin, Jessi & Shane!!